Monday, January 7, 2019

New for 2019!

I am grateful for a friend who sat semi-still while I painted him for about an hour. I took it home and worked on it another hour or so. Hopefully he isn't embarrassed, but this is how history is going to remember him. Ha. It is called "Steve After a Haircut".
He paints bright poppies, so I thought I would add that as the background instead of his kitchen wall. I'm taking a portrait oil class at Art Students League in February, so I'm practicing portraits as much as I can.  Here is one I did from a photo. Not someone I know, so there was less pressure to get it "right".
Regardless of skin color, you can use the same four colors for almost any portrait - Also known as the Zorn Palette (after Anders Zorn) It consists of yellow ochre, ivory black, vermilion and titanium white. I learned that in my previous oil class.
 

No comments: