Monday, March 21, 2011

First Harvest of Honey

The bees survived the winter! They started coming out of the hive again about two weeks ago. I was noticing that flies were gathering around the entrance, so I cleaned up the hive this last weekend and got it ready for Spring. I provided some fresh sugar water and pollen pattie to help the queen start making new brood. I also was able to harvest some honey - about 20 pounds worth. The bees had built comb going two directions and I wanted to remove that so they could have more efficient rows of comb for the summer. They still have plenty to help them make it through the next couple of months. This is the first chance I've had to try the honey in the comb from our hive. I cannot describe what wonderful is, but you will have to believe that it tasted wonderful! There are nuances of flavors from the lavender, hyssop, cherry, all of the blossoms from the garden. I put the honey-filled comb in containers and then cooked down the empty comb to make really fragrant pure wax. I might make some lip balm next weekend.











No comments: